5.06.2010

Plan B - Pete Wilson

I am not typically a fan of what I perceive to be "self-help" books...I find them somewhat cheesy, and I always feel they are "talking down" to the reader. I was somewhat hesitant to review Plan B by Pete Wilson because of this; however, I am so thankful I did. I was impressed by Wilson's insight into hard times. He did not minimize any challenging situation -- instead, he took the time to connect a story from the Bible to the pain and suffering we feel in this life.

I appreciated his candor and his own questioning. It led me to feel as if he was actually searching with me for the answers. I did not feel he was talking down to his audience, shedding his wisdom on his poor, helpless readers, but rather, felt as if he was honestly sharing the information he felt led to.

As a teacher in California in the age of rampant pink-slipping, I have felt confused and misled...had I been hearing God wrong? To borrow the tagline from the book, what do I do when God doesn't show up the way I thought he would? This book, while I wouldn't necessarily call it "life-changing," provided a new way for me to experience God and his plan for me, through a plan B that God has, in all honesty, really been preparing me for. Thank you, Pete Wilson (and Thomas Nelson Publishing) for this book with incredible insights into human nature, and more importantly, the faithfulness of God's nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment